Topics on this page >
News and Video | Durham Top Annual Events | Everyday Durham | Other NC Triangle Perks | Restaurants & Bars | Psychiatry Residents away from work - More Photos and Videos
Consistently ranked by regional and national media as one of the top places to live and do business in the United States, Durham is not only a place where great things happen, but also an open and welcoming place to call home. Durham residents are accepting, culturally diverse, community-spirited, and passionate. Most telling, opinion polls confirm that nearly 80% of Durhamites are proud of their hometown. This website provides information on housing, jobs and businesses, and schools in Durham.
News and videos about great living in Durham, NC
Moving your family to Durham?? Durham has numerous quality public and charter school options, and nearby Chapel Hill boasts one of the best public high schools in the nation - only 15 minutes from Duke!
Durham recommendations from Duke Psychiatry
- Durham Performing Arts Center - Year round performance arts. Ranked in the top 10% of ALL BUSINESSES worldwide and the #4 theater of ALL US THEATERS!! This past year has included variety of shows and artists such as Jon Stewart, Bill Maher, Once (the musical based on the movie), Book of Mormon, and countless others. Upcoming shows include Bill Cosby, Joan Rivers, Kenny G, Wicked, Annie, Chris Botti, Tony Bennett, Nick Swardons, The Jersey Boys and more. Centrally located in downtown Durham near fantastic burger joints, breweries, eclectic cuisine, and casual clubs.
- Durham Beer Festival and numerous Breweries - Every October, over 300+ different beers from around the world come to Durham to show off their best craft brews. Joining the party, the areas best restaurants and eateries set up food trucks to provide nourishment to beer enthusiasts on their adventure.
- Eno River State Park - 4000+ acres of NC conservation land where you can canoe, kayak, bike, fish, run, jump and play. Get back your spring, summer and fall spirit and take advantage of the beautiful 4-season weather in NC.
- Carolina Theater - Don’t let its close knit atmosphere fool you! Although its small in size, it packs big bang for its buck. Upcoming performers such as John Hodgman, The Last Comic Standing, Monty Python, The Pinnacle of Piano Concertos, and more comedians, classic artists and performers, it will leave you hungry for more!
- Durham Central Park - home to Food Truck Rodeo, Friday Summer Blues Festival, Free Beer tastings, Free Yoga in the Park, and a fascinating place to just hang out with friends, rollerblade, people-watch and try out those new Heelys you’ve been itching to buy!
- Full Frame Film Festival - Every April, Duke residents look forward to the Full Frame Documentary Film Festival, a four day extravaganza morning to midnight of over 100 documentary films. A recent NY Times review says, "A Festival like this offers a sustained, concentrated exposure to the sheer emotional power of documentary filmmaking, its ability to communicate the drama embedded in human experience. In Durham last weekend, you could walk into the stately dark of the Carolina Theatre and lose yourself in real life."
Here's a listing of interesting events and places compiled by past and current Duke Psychiatry trainees.
DURHAM TOP ANNUAL EVENTS
- Durham Performing Art Center Broadway Shows
- Doughman Race - May
- American Dance Festival - June-July
- Eno River festival - July
- NC State Fair - October
- World Beer Festival - October
- Durham City Art Walk - April
- Durham Restaurant Week - January and June
- Durham Farmer’s Market Wed and Sat
- NC Museum of Life and Science
After Hours events
- Sarah P. Duke Gardens
Music in the Gardens
- Eno River State park
- Carolina Theatre
- Third Friday Durham- Art and Cultural events
- Durham Bulls
- Triangle Brewery Tours
- Food Truck Rodeos
- The Independent Weekly - Great source for upcoming events in the Triangle
- Carpe Durham - Fascinating source of "Ramblings about restaurants and bars in Durham"
OTHER NC TRIANGLE PERKS
- NC Symphony
- NC Ballet
- NC Wineries
- Raleigh Annual Events/Festivals
- Chapel Hill Annual Events/Festivals
RESTAURANTS AND BARS
Interested in food and dining out? Check out this June 2014 article "Durham has a reputation as a town for foodies" : http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/06/19/3945439/2014-durham-restaurant-guide.html
MONUTS: Duke residents love eating at this popular upscale breakfast spot in downtown Durham where the line consistently spills out into the sidewalk after 8am. It's listed as one of the best 21 donut shops in the nation!
Some Favorite and Frequented spots - Erwin Road | 9th Street | Broad Street | Brightleaf Square | Downtown Durham | South Durham Area
Erwin Road a quick walk from Durham VA or Duke Hospital
- Local Yogurt
- Six Plates (tapas and wine bar)
- Elmo’s Dinner (American)
- Dale’s Indian Restaurant
- Chubby’s taco (Mexican)
- Vin Rouge (French)
- Cosmic Cantina (Mexican)
- Francesca’s (deserts)
- Broad Street Café (Music venue and American food)
- Watt’s Grocery (North Carolina Cuisine, Local Produce, Brunch)
- Whole Foods grocery
- Alivia’s Durham Bistro (American)
- The Federal (Bar and Restaurant)
- James Joyce Irish Pub and Restaurant
- Parker and Otis
- 604 West Morgan (Italian)
- Pop’s Trattoria (Italian)
- West End Wine Bar
- Whiskey (bar)
- Dos Perros (Mexican)
- Bull City Burger and brewery (American)
- Cuban Revolution
- Dame’s Chicken and Waffles
- Rue Cler (French)
- Tobacco Road Sports Bar
- Tyler’s Tap Room
- Geer St Garden
- Fullsteam Brewery
- Nantucket Grill (American)
- Shiki Sushi
- City Beverage (Bar)